Saturday, March 10, 2007

Gingrich, Dobson, Falwell - Brothers in Hypocrisy

"Becoming involved in strictly political issues or partisan politics inevitably dilutes the evangelist's impact and compromises his message. It is a lesson I wish I had learned sooner." - Billy Graham.

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” - Rom. 12:1-3 (NIV)

I grew up watching many of Billy Graham's crusades on TV. Later on, Billy Graham was in a way, instrumental, in my later conversion from Buddhism to Christianity. Billy Graham got across to me not only as someone who is sincere but also as a man of peace. He was like King David, a man after God's own heart.

So as I listened to Newt Gingrich's confession to James Dobson (Focus of the Family), & the subsequent invite from Jerry Falwell to give the commencement address at Liberty University, all sorts of alarms went off in my head. As a Bible-believing, evangelical Christian, I've learned to develop discernment over the years. I know a liar, or a bunch of them, when I see/hear one.

Here, before me were three so-called “Christians” engaging in political & religious masturbation. They didn't seemed to know God or his character. They seemed to think that God would suck up to their political agenda. Each, trivializing the word of God & slapping God in the face in the process. Here, before me is an example of deception outlined in the Bible:

“Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.” - 2 Cor. 4:2 (NIV)

The supremacy of God's character determines a Christian's view of the world. Before God, adultery is adultery. Philandering is philandering. Perjury is perjury. One cannot draw a line in his mind, to think that God will draw a similar line in his mind & turn a blind eye. God is neither blind nor dumb. God will not do anything to contradict his own character.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” - Isa. 55:8-9 (NIV)

“For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.” - Jude 1:4 (NIV)

Neither Gingrich, Dobson nor Falwell understand the fear or wrath of God. Give me Billy Graham anytime. I rest my case.